Sunday, July 25, 2010

They arrived!

Todd and Tommy arrived the other night, finally!! Tons of baggage (we ended up shipping very little as it was more cost effective to pay the airlines for extra duffles) and two taxis to bring them home. We have everything we need, plus more...But we are especially thrilled to have our mountain bikes, speakers for the ipod and the tennis rackets. (We cranked John Denver while doing dishes tonight. Nod to Mom and Dad and the good ole 70's)
The reunion was an energetic one. Will and Marky could hardly wait to see Daddy and Tommy and were bouncing off the walls all day. Once they walked through the big double doors, it was sheer joy! We went to bed incredibly late AND no one slept in, of course.  The the next day was rainy and overcast, within a few hours of boisterous play, the boys were tired and quickly back into the routine habits of insulting each other and one-up-man-ship! Yet, still thrilled to be together ? I guess so....As a girl, I don't always get that.
Anyway it has been overcast and rainy since they arrived and much of our clothes are wet and getting stinky. We have no dryer here and the sun is a great source keeping the house fresh and dry. I hope it comes out again soon.
Unpacking will be a slow process as we pull what is needed when venturing into town to explore. Yesterday we rented two quadimotos (4 wheel ATVs) and went for a ripping 4 hour ride into the countryside. What a blast!! Perfect weather is rain which provides tons of puddles, mud, excitement and skidding! Here in Mexico there is no age limit and before long, Will, Tommy and Marky were driving these powerful rigs (Todd and I passengers)kicking up mud and having the time of their lives, squealing with enthusiasm. On our way back from a ancient tiny town and back along the presa (resevoir) it started to rain buckets, we could hardly see. Emerging from the country side and back towards town, we cruised up the cobblestone streets, navigating through traffic, and rivers that minutes ago were streets.  Drainage Pipes that hang off roofs and over the streets drenched us even more. It was like we were the dudes in a video game, dodging and careening to avoid traps and tags. We arrived back at the shop, squeezed the water out of our clothes and quickly hailed a warm steamy cab to bring us home. At the house, the boys jumped into a hot, full tub and we all got our core temperatures back up to normal. I curled up in my favorite white fuzzy robe and jumped under the down comforter...felt like a cold rainy day in December in Orinda.....and fell asleep.

I had a dream. I had a dream that I was crouched by a river so vast, it looked like the sea. Naked with my clothes draped over my back, I was contemplating jumping in. "Todd, see that buoy out there? Let's swim to it" We looked out quietly. Then on the bank behind me I felt people walking by, only able to catch glimpses of colored pant legs shuffling pass and no longer were we alone. I suddenly felt ashamed and embarrassed to be so exposed, not wanting to be seen.
I jumped in, the water was cool, enveloping and safe. No longer did I feel self conscious in the proximity of strangers. Perfect were the next moments as we swam toward the red bulbous can, Todd near by. Calm was the surface of the water, the atmosphere was tranquil and the light of the sky soft. Yet when we were far from shore, the current quickly became intense, so forceful, I could barely keep my head above water. Panicked and scared, I struggled for each breath frightened how quickly everything changed. Completely alone, flailing I fought to swim ashore. Finally, down stream I reached the river's edge again, face in the sand, body completely limp I lay there, relieved and corpse like. I watched myself dreaming.
Focusing my eyes within the small radius around me, I realized the sand was littered with skins, discarded, shed snake and lizard skins. Translucent, delicate and dry. Gorgeous and strange I wished to show this to the boys. And there in the middle beneath the skins, lay a earthen clay Buddha like vessel half buried in the sand. I reached for it, and with my finger scooped away the sand, amazed that this small treasure would hold a single tealight candle, one that wouldn't go out in the wind for the concave shape would cradle and protect the tiny flame.

No comments:

Post a Comment